Saturday, June 05, 2004

The End of Comments

I´m afraid I have had to disable the comments. Like a number of other leading and influential political blogs, my posts attracted an unhealthy number of nationalists, racists, and just plain loonies. Sadly, many of my fellow Americans refuse to accept the lessons of Abu Ghraib. I stand by everything I said. And just to rub salt in the wounds of misplaced patriotism, I cite again the offending passage:


The Chuck Graner argument. The torture, humiliation, and brutality of Abu Ghraib are not, as Don Rumsfeld protested, "Un-American." They are quintessentially American, as today's FT reports. Chuck Graner and Ivan Fredericks are standard issue US Prison Guards. We brought our particular form of homegrown horror to the Middle East. And there's plenty more where that came from. While we Americans like to pretend that we are a force for good in the world, there are many features of our society--features that we don't like to discuss--that are sick. We remain, in many ways, a violent, vulgar nation of religious bigots. It is hardly surprising that other peoples do not wish to be occupied by us.


People are free to email me, I will try to incorporate replies into future posts.

Site Feed